Flavorful and Fast Chow Mein
Updated: Jan 12
Protein of your choice cut in thin strips (leftovers work great) or whole shrimp
1/2 white onion (sliced thinly)
1 cup napa cabbage sliced julienne
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon corn starch
1 package pre-cooked stir-fry noodles ( I like shanghai style)
For marinade: 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup of cold water, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 tablespoon of corn starch
1. Start by marinating your protein. Dissolve corn starch in water, add in remaining ingredients and mix. Add in your protein and marinade 20 minutes. The corn starch is a technique called "silkening" and this is what gives the meat in traditional stir-fry the gorgeous color and texture.
2. Heat your wok or high walled saute pan to med/high heat. While you are waiting for the pan to get hot, remove your meat from the marinade.
3. When the wok/pan begins to smoke, add your oil by pouring it down the sides of the wok/pan. Then, add your protein and stir-fry for about 3 minutes.
4. Add in onion and cabbage and stir-fry for about a minute.
5. Add in your garlic and stir-fry for about 30 seconds before adding noodles. Stir-fry for one minute
6. Add soy sauce and oyster sauce to wok/pan, pouring down the edges to add.
7. Continually stir and toss your chow-mein mixture for 2-3 more minutes. The noodles should be hot and cooked through and all the ingredients should have come together in a wonderful way. Serve immediately!!!!